- A good solid day. Kind of like a meat-and-potatoes dinner.
- Attendance was off by about 50-60 people due to it being a four-day weekend, President's Day, and Valentines Day all in one.
- Our regular drummer was back in the saddle today. He did a good job.
- Our regular bass player was out of town so I had to fill in on the bass guitar. I’m a little rusty – it’s been a while since I have played bass. I enjoyed playing the part. But I did make a couple of glaring mistakes.
- Today’s message was from Malachi 3:13-18 – “A Faithful Remnant.” Yes, it was a strong word. Yes, it was an encouraging word.
- I really liked v.17-18 where God said He would put a “distinction” between those who are His and those who are not. “They will be mine” He says. Amazing.
- I talked about premarital sex today. Two people got up and walked out.
- I am amazed how often people will ask me to pray with them to discover whether or not it is God’s will for them to marry a person they are currently dating – while they completely ignore His will on sexual activity before marriage. The thought never occurs to them that God may not bother to tell them who to marry until they first learn how to date. It’s as if they want God’s input on the big decisions in their life, but don’t want His interference in the day-to-day stuff. That’s treating God like a part-time consultant. There’s a problem with that kind of thinking. God doesn’t do part-time consulting. God does God.
- The goal of teaching is not to make everyone happy. The goal of teaching is to learn what God expects of His people. For those who accept the authority of the Scriptures in their life, they have no problem with this. Others may bristle, but God’s holy remnant gets it.
- We are on a talent search looking for additional musicians to serve in the worship band. Looking for a bass player (we are losing the current player, Alex, in August), and an acoustic guitarist (to take my place)…. a piano player (to fill in for Renae)… and an additional (but very strong) worship leader. Why? We need deeper layers of talent for the sake of the church. The church band and the Sunday services should be able to function in the absence of me and Renae. We are actively working towards that goal.
- Leadership development is high on my list of things to do in 2010. It is also time for my role to change.
- My ultimate goal for PCC is to have a fully functioning church leadership team that can keep this church going in our absence.
- Received a very nice letter from a couple today communicating to me how much God has done in their life. They also had high compliments for PCC and its impact on their lives. These kinds of letters remind me why we do the work we do.
- I’ve been on a sugar fast for four weeks.
- I ran four days this week – three of those times was for 4.3 miles, one time for 2 miles. I hope to increase the mileage a little higher this week.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Sunday Mind Dump
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment