1. It’s harder than you think – in ways you can’t even imagine yet.
2. It’s more fun that you think it’s going to be. You’re building something from scratch.
3. There are a lot of people who DON'T want you to succeed. Identify those people and ignore them; and if they attend your church, show them the door.
4. There are people who DO want you to succeed; identify those people and seek them out. They will be one of your greatest assets.
5. It’s not easy to figure out who the people are from #3 and #4 above. You’ll make some miscalculations along the way and will get bit in the butt.
6. The weather will constantly work against you. Deal with it.
7. You will plan an event and no one will show up.
8. The church you visualize in your mind may or may not become reality. Deal with it.
9. Live with open hands; let people come and go. People will leave; even your friends will leave. If your confidence and self image depend on making everyone happy, you will fail as a pastor and will become a terrible person to live with.
10. Settle the question of failure before you start. It is an option, or not?