A few excerpts from today's message at PCC....
The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, and His sovereignty rules over all (Psalm 103:19 NASB).
Whether we accept it or not, God is calling the shots. He's running the show. Nothing falls outside of His jurisdiction. Everything is under His control.
Get that straight and the rest of your life will get easier. More things will begin to make sense too.
Admittedly, we'll never be able to grasp all the ramifications of God's sovereignty. The finite can never plumb the depths of the infinite. If we could figure it all out, we would qualify as God's adviser. Scripture, however, makes it clear He does not need our counsel. Instead, He wants our trust and devotion... even when we don't understand the "whys" of our circumstances.
Rather than fearing the truth of God's sovereignty, it has become my favorite attribute of God. I think about it every day. In fact, it influences my view of everything:
- Brokenhearted situations are calmed by the sovereignty of God
- Difficult circumstances are accepted by embracing God's sovereignty
- The outcome of our prayers is determined by the sovereignty of God
- Even our successes are fulfilled by nothing less than the sovereignty of God.
I have learned to loosen my grip on things. I worry a lot less. I am less stressed out. After all, since God is in control of all things... then I don't have to be (as if I ever were!). It's liberating to loosen ones grip and just let God be God.
When believers simply rest in God - when they have a steadfast spirit... a sense of inner peace... and a quiet confidence knowing that He is always at work... in us, through us, and around us - we reach a place where almost nothing can shake our faith... because we know "God's got this."
- When you live without the assurance of God's sovereignty and providence, it is a self-inflicted poverty
- When you live with it... at the front edge of your mind... it will make all the difference in every day of your life.
I can sleep at night because I know He who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps (Psalm 121:4).
God's got it.