Dear Career Church Shopper:
You’ve been attending PCC for several months now.
It’s too bad that for all these months now you haven’t been able to find a church that meets your approval, including us. The music is too loud at this one, the preacher is too long-winded at that one, there’s not enough meat in the sermons at the other one, or they don’t “flow in the gifts” here or there.
May I offer some suggestions you might consider in your search?
1. Christ did not bleed for the Church so you could treat all these local churches, that you have been evaluating, like an episode of Star Search by deciding who to VOTE OFF your list this week.
2. The local church was not commissioned to only meet your NEEDS. As a believer YOU are part of the Church and therefore bear some responsibility to meets the needs of others. Quit thinking about yourself so much.
3. Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her (Eph. 5:25). Quit treating His bride like a Jesus-buffet where you can pick and choose what you like, hedging your bets against the pain and sacrifice of making a commitment.
4. Since the scriptures instruct you to use your gifts in service to the Body of Christ – and it never instructs you to search for a church that scratches you where you itch – you might consider what the church needs from you rather than the other way around.
5. If you only want to hear me say things you already know and agree with, perhaps you should stay home and talk to yourself in the bathroom mirror.