Do not be deceived: Bad company ruins good morals. (I Corinthians 15:33)
Negative people are a drain on your emotional state of mind. The negative energy from toxic people affects your energy level, not to mention bringing a great deal of stress and anxiety to you. It all adds up to a big bummer.
If you’ve had enough, here’s how to liberate yourself from them:
1. Decide that you’re worth it. Simply make the choice that it’s time for you to commit to yourself for your own happiness, and you’re not going to let anyone slow you down.
2. Identify the toxic people. These people make you feel worse than when you first started talking to them. There is a difference between someone sharing their struggles with you, verses someone who constantly complains or criticizes.
3. Let them go. Just start. Use whatever method you feel is appropriate. Avoid them. Don’t take their calls. Unfriend them from Facebook. Stop hanging out with them. Distance yourself. Avoid explaining yourself or defending yourself to them for being distant. They may take it personally that you have distanced yourself, but so what. It’s your life.
4. Don’t feel guilty. Again, your state of mind is worth it. You must be your own best friend. If you don’t take charge of your future, happiness, and well-being, no one else will do it for you. You have no obligation to keep these people in your life, or close to you. Besides, it’s normal for relationships to evolve or dissolve as people grow and change. Just move on and be happy about doing it.
5. Bring in the positive. Surround yourself with positive people and friends who energize you. These are the kind of people who support your ambitions, encourage your ideas, make you laugh, have a sense of humor, are optimistic, and you look forward to seeing them.
You deserve it.