When leading a team, supervising subordinates, managing a business, or providing oversight in the ministry, the kindest form of leadership is “truth.” By that I mean, TELLING the truth.
- If a worker is doing a good job, tell him/her so
- If a worker is doing a bad job, tell him/her so
- If changes need to be made, tell him/her so
- If changes don’t need to be made, tell him/her so
- If budget cuts need to be made, tell them why and when
- If budget increases are on the table, tell them how it will be used
- If you need to let someone go, tell them so quickly
- If they deserve to be promoted, do so quickly
Misleading people (for any reason) is just downright wrong.